CALM’s Staff Accountant is a vital part of the accounting and finance team and reports to the Finance Manager. The Staff Accountant will be responsible for assisting with the preparation of monthly financial analysis reports, generating accounting reports as needed and process payroll. This position requires the ability to work independently, coordinate multiple clerical and administrative tasks, and display a high degree of confidentiality. The position requires excellent organizational ability and strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for the day to day accounting operations, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, and deposits.
- Assist with month end close process by preparing monthly journal entries and reconciliations and analyzes balance sheet accounts.
- Prepare year-end audit/review schedules and assist in the preparation of deliverables.
- Participate in the development and documentation of accounting policies and procedures.
- Identify areas for workflow process improvements, provide recommendation and execute on the changes.
- Play an active role in system enhancements and upgrades.
- Support accounts payable activities to ensure accuracy and timeliness of invoice creation and entry into QuickBooks.
- Receive deposit report from the development office and process deposits.
- Input and reconcile all credit card account activity.
- Book and/or manage adjustments to Assets, Liabilities and/or Equity accounts.
- Prepare and process 1099’s, coordinate processing of 1095’s.
- Prepare reports as needed for grants and contracts which may include exporting to Excel.
- Prepare/file Statement of Information, Economic Census, Claim for Welfare Exemption, etc.
- Process weekly A/P checks and staff expense reimbursements.
- Work closely with the external auditor during the yearly financial audit and the audit committee.
- Review and process payroll on a semi-monthly basis and ensure payroll process is in compliance with federal and state law.
- Audit all changes made in payroll system and track vacation and sick time.
- Interface with staff members about any payroll inquiries or concerns.
- Keep apprised of current payroll and accounting regulations and best practices.
- Provide time recording training to managers as needed to ensure accurate time recording.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- BA/BS degree in Accounting or Finance required, or in a related field, or high school diploma with equivalent experience.
- 3 – 5 years related accounting work experience.
- Ability to work independently, organize, handle detail, follow-through on tasks and problem solve with minimal supervision and be able to successfully complete tasks in a timely manner and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong oral, written, and interpersonal skills for interaction with staff, and others.
- Must have a valid California drivers’ license, clean DMV, and criminal record clearance from the DOJ.
- Strong computer knowledge, proficient in Microsoft Office, Word and Excel, Outlook, and payroll systems required.
- Quickbooks or related accounting software experience required.
- Experience with Paylocity helpful but not required.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Able to read and understand technical forms and financial reports.
- Willingness to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Experience working in a non-profit environment preferred.
Benefits: Salary is dependent on experience and education. Benefits include 100% Employer paid medical, dental, vision, life insurance, paid time off and paid holidays and a 403(b) matching retirement program.
Qualified, interested candidates are asked to submit a resume and letter of interest to HR@calm4kids.org.