SUMMARY: CALM is looking for a talented individual to join our Finance team. The Staff Accountant will be responsible for assisting with the preparation of monthly financial analysis reports, generating accounting reports as needed and processing payroll. Strong interpersonal and communication skills are critical. You must be able to work independently, coordinate multiple clerical and administrative tasks, and display a high degree of confidentiality.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for the day to day accounting operations, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, and deposits.
- Assist with month end close process by preparing monthly journal entries and reconciliations and analyzes balance sheet accounts.
- Prepare year-end audit/review schedules and assist in the preparation of deliverables.
- Participate in the development and documentation of accounting policies and procedures.
- Identify areas for workflow process improvements, provide recommendation and execute on the changes.
- Play an active role in system enhancements and upgrades.
- Support accounts payable activities to ensure accuracy and timeliness of invoice creation and entry into QuickBooks.
- Receive deposit report from the development office and process deposits.
- Input and reconcile all credit card account activity.
- Book and/or manage adjustments to Assets, Liabilities and/or Equity accounts.
- Prepare and process 1099’s, coordinate processing of 1095’s.
- Prepare reports as needed for grants and contracts which may include exporting to Excel.
- Prepare/file Statement of Information, Economic Census, Claim for Welfare Exemption, etc.
- Process weekly A/P checks and staff expense reimbursements.
- Work closely with the external auditor during the yearly financial audit and the audit committee.
- Review and process payroll on a semi-monthly basis and ensure payroll process is in compliance with federal and state law.
- Audit all changes made in payroll system and track vacation and sick time.
- Interface with staff members about any payroll inquiries or concerns.
- Keep apprised of current payroll and accounting regulations and best practices.
- Provide time recording training to managers as needed to ensure accurate time recording.
- Assist the Director of Finance and Administration with facilities and IT related functions.
- Complete other duties that may be assigned.
- Communication skills – Speaks and writes clearly and informatively; listens to others; works to resolve conflicts and maintains confidentiality; able to effectively present information and respond to questions from staff, partner agencies and the community.
- Professionalism – Approaches others with tact; reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration; keeps commitments and accepts responsibility for own actions; works with integrity and upholds CALM values.
- Initiative – Self-starter; requires minimal supervision; undertakes self-development activities; seeks increased responsibilities; is a solution seeker; takes independent actions; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; asks for and offers help when needed.
- Customer Service – Manages difficult situations; responds promptly to others’ needs; solicits feedback; promptly responds to requests for service and assistance.
- Dependability – Can be relied on to meet schedules and deadlines; must be punctual, responds to management direction in a timely manner; takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments; displays a strong personal commitment to completing projects.
- Planning & Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; manages competing priorities; uses time efficiently; sets goals and objectives; develops realistic action plans and takes responsibility for implementing them.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- BA/BS degree in Accounting or Finance required, or in a related field, or high school diploma with equivalent experience.
- 3 – 5 years related accounting work experience.
- Ability to work independently, organize, handle detail, follow-through on tasks and problem solve with minimal supervision and be able to successfully complete tasks in a timely manner and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong oral, written, and interpersonal skills for interaction with staff, and others.
- Must have a valid California drivers’ license, clean DMV, and criminal record clearance from the DOJ.
- Strong computer knowledge, proficient in Microsoft Office, Word and Excel, Outlook, and payroll systems required.
- Quickbooks or related accounting software experience required.
- Experience with Paylocity helpful but not required.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Able to read and understand technical forms and financial reports.
- Willingness to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Experience working in a non-profit environment preferred.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to:
- Stand, walk; sit; reach with hands and arms; balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- Drive from one location to another
- Lift and /or move up to 25 lbs.
HOURS of EMPLOYMENT:
This is a full time position. A 40 hour per week schedule will be established on consultation with the supervisor, evening and weekend hours may apply. The normal work week is Monday – Friday. Normal hours of work will be established between the hours of 8:00am and 6:00pm
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
We value wellness and offer a generous compensation and benefit package that includes a competitive salary dependent on experience and education, generous benefits that include up to 100% paid medical, dental, vision, life insurance for employees and a highly subsidized portion of the dependent coverage. Paid holidays, vacation accruals starting at 2 weeks and sick accruals of 12 days per year (accruals based upon a 40 hour work week) and a 403(b) 3% matching program.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
CALM RESERVES THE RIGHT TO CHANGE THE DUTIES OF THIS POSITION AT ANY TIME.
CALM provides equal opportunity for all qualified applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, veteran status, or any other protected classification.
Interested and qualified applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to HR@calm4kids.org.
Please put the title of the position in the subject line of the email.