Join us in protecting the most important relationship in the world! Everyday CALM’s dedicated and talented staff make a difference in the lives of children and families throughout Santa Barbara County. We’re looking for a highly effective Human Resources Manager to join our team. The ideal candidate will have strong HR skills, work well with others and the ability to manage projects and juggle priorities . The Human Resources Manager, under the direction of the Director of Human Resources is responsible for the functional areas of Human Resources, including recruitment, benefits, employee relations, retirement, training, workers compensation, compensation and safety for CALM’s three sites in Santa Barbara, Lompoc, and Santa Maria.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manages, tracks and recruits for all open positions.
- Manages the interviewing and hiring process by screening all resumes and applications, performing background and reference checks, verifying employment eligibility.
- Participates in as many initial applicant interviews as possible.
- Prepares payroll authorizations and other hiring documentation.
- Maintains all employee records.
- Maintains all employee postings.
- Develops and maintains compensation and benefits programs for CALM employees.
- Prepares compensation analysis for market value of jobs and internal equity.
- Participates in compensation surveys as needed.
- Manages the employee benefits programs including medical, dental, retirement plans.
- Administers Workers Compensation, including filing and managing claims, advising supervisors on their role with injured employees and maintaining records.
- Manages all unemployment claims and reporting.
- Evaluates, analyzes and make recommendations for any changes in benefit structure, specific plans or providers.
- Acts as a liaison between the benefits providers (insurance companies, etc) and the employees.
- Evaluates, revises and implements performance evaluation system as necessary; and provides training to supervisors.
- Plans, develops and implements personnel training/development opportunities for staff as requested and/or needed.
- Keeps current on Federal and State employment laws and related human resource practices.
- Advises supervisors on performance and disciplinary matters and issues.
- Creates and reviews job descriptions in consultation with manager/supervisors.
- Ensure compliance with ACA regulations, including 1094 and 1095 reporting, and other benefits related regulations.
- Ensures that the personnel policies are kept current. Reviews the Employee Handbook and makes recommendations for updates.
- Develops procedures and appropriate forms for personnel related practices.
- Performs internal investigations of harassment charges and other such complaints and keep confidential records of same.
- Manage Leaves of Absence in accordance with State and Federal Laws.
- Oversees all staff separations. Coordinates or conducts exit interviews to determine reasons behind separations.
- Maintains knowledge of industry trends by participating in educational opportunities, maintaining networks, and participating in professional organizations.
- Completes other human resource related projects and duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree (BA/BS) in Human Resources or related field from a four-year accredited college or university required. HR Certification preferred. Must have at least three to five years experience working in human resources; experience or familiarity with non-profit setting preferred. Must have thorough knowledge of principles and practices of human resources management including current Federal and State employment law. Must have a valid California drivers license, clean DMV, and criminal record clearance from DOJ.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Salary is dependent on experience. Benefits include 100% Employer paid medical, dental, vision, life insurance, paid holidays, vacation and sick time and a matching 403(b) plan.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to submit a cover letter and resume to HR@calm4kids.org. Please put HR Manager in the subject line of the email.