- Take care of yourself physically and emotionally. Take time to exercise, read, nap or work on a special project to recharge your batteries.
- Use words that help, not words that hurt. You are a mirror for your children. They believe what you say about them.
- Rules help children feel secure. Without limits children do not know where they stand and what they are supposed to do.
- Help children feel good about their successes with ‘you’ messages. In addition to “I am proud of you,” try “You really worked hard on that, I bet that makes you feel proud,” as well.
- Children are never too old to be told they are loved. Say it or write it in a note that your child can keep.